Wednesday, February 28, 2018

TRS-80 Color Computer 2


The very first computer that I ever Owned was a silver TRS-80 Color Computer. At $400, it was one of the cheapest computers. Having a friend who already had one and seeing it in action was what convinced me to get it.

I just purchased a Color Computer 2 off of ebay for $69. It's on the way as of this writing. I am looking for a Floppy controller and drives for it. I know that any 5.25" 360K disk drives from PCs should work, if I have to come up with my own. I won't pay $100 or more for a floppy drive when you can still get them for $35 in almost new condition. My Color Computer was upgraded with an after-market keyboard that put a real keyboard in place of the chicklet/membrane keyboard of the original Coco. This will not be an important part of the one I look for.

I am still looking for a color computer model 1, because the CoCo-2, even if it works, is not as significant. But while I have the $69 Coco-2, I can at least get started with getting discs and software set up, so that when I do get the original CoCo, it will have software ready for it.

My original Color Computer looked like the Below image, until I removed the silver paint, leaving the whole thing black.

This is what the original looked like, with it's red, white, and black chicklet keyboard.

ADDENDUM
Due to my overly pessimistic bidding habits on Ebay, I assumed that if I placed a bid on 3 different Color Computers, I'd get at least one of them, should a bidding war break out at the last minute. Most of the computers I've bid on recently ended in bid wars, where I either stopped when the price got too high, or someone placed a bid for $1 more at the last minute and won. This time, however, I ended up winning all of them, while only expecting just one. So now I have a Color Computer 2 and 2 original Color Computers, 2 of which have disk controllers. Looks like I'll be selling at the MIT flea market again!

ADDENDUM
The Coco 2 turned out to be 16K, and had no extended BASIC ROM. This was not what the seller advertised. He clearly said it was the 64K model. So I ended up returning it for a refund. The other 2 original Color Computers actually arrived. Both are in perfect working condition, and the one with the floppy drive is working. I now have 2 of them with disk controllers. All I need is a floppy drive for the second one. The one that had no accessories ended up being fully restored -- it was repainted with the correct silver pain, and looked new. The inside was spotless, also. I have a friend whom I'll be giving it to. I decided that it'll be better to do that than just sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment